On this episode of the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Vanessa Vershaw about Unreasonable Ambition, having a strong self-concept and empathy vs. compassion as a leader.
We also dive deeper into building an empathetic skillset and a compassionate organisation, creating a deeper sense and connection within teams, and nurturing rising talent.
Vanessa Vershaw – Unreasonable Ambition
Vanessa Vershaw is the CEO and Founder of Reinvention Consulting Group and the author of the book Unreasonable Ambition, winner of the 2022 Momentum Trail-blazer Award, and an award-winning Australian Organisational Psychologist for ASX 20 & Fortune 100 companies globally.
She is a graduate of the University of Western Australia, Murdoc University and Curtin University where she took Modern Languages & Theater, Law, and Psychology. A former journalist with ABC, Vanessa’s expertise has gained recognition through publications in The Australian Financial Review, The Diplomat magazine, and other esteemed platforms.
Vanessa talks about:
- Wanting to serve people at an early age and becoming an organisational psychologist
- Being strong with her views and being a natural leader
- Unreasonable Ambition
- Embracing your true self
- Going into journalism and leaving and going into Psychology
- Empathy vs. Compassion as a leader
- Building empathic skills as a leader
- A compassionate organisation achieves collective resilience
- Building a shared purpose and meaning in an organisation
- A deeper sense of connection and belonging in an organisation
- The great resignation
- The mirroring technique in executive coaching
- Nurturing rising talents and giving real time feedback
- Real transformation happens when we’re not in charge
- Choosing the road less travelled
“It’s not about having an ego. It’s about having a very strong self-concept. And that’s difference. The strong self-concept is I know who I am, warts and all. I’ve got great self-awareness. I know what I can do and I know what I can do right from a skills perspective. And it gives perspective.” Having a strong self-concept with Vanessa Vershaw on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
“How could you afford not to be anybody other than yourself? And that’s really the lessons that I roll through, through my own experiences.” Vanessa Vershaw on embracing her true self on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
“We’re actually creating an organisation where it’s not a team of people, but it’s almost a tribe of people where we are connected deeply through purpose and belonging and why compassion is really important. It’s because a compassionate organisation is the one that’s able to achieve collective resilience.” Having compassion as a leader with Vanessa Vershaw on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Vanessa Vershaw www.reinventionconsulting.com.au
Vanessa Vershaw LinkedIn
Vanessa Vershaw Instagram
Craig Johns www.craigjohns.com.au
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Craig Johns Facebook
Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast