On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Ron Coury, a Tenacious Las Vegas Entrepreneur, about navigating the Las Vegas business and political world, being an approachable leader who greets clients by their first name, becoming a niche finder, and rising above corruption, bribery and death threats.
We also delve into why John Wayne and his dad were his greatest influences, Creating a learning tool with Andre Agassi Square Panda, human connection as the most effective marketing asset, and overcoming cancer.
Ron Coury – Tenacious Las Vegas Entrepreneur
Ron Coury is a tenacious Las Vegas serial entrepreneur, US Marine and business visionary, who has enjoyed riding the rollercoaster of business and life. He is a cancer survivor, wonderful storyteller and tenacious grandparent of five grandchildren.
Ron is the author of the recently released book Tenacity and began his career in the US Marine Corps before becoming a casino dealer, entrepreneur, realtor and board member across Las Vegas and California. His life has been action-packed from the days of growing up in Brooklyn to coping with a barrage of constraints including political and police corruption, bribery, coercion and even death threats.
Ron talks about:
- Shining shoes for 10 cents a shine at a Brooklyn subway, before joining the US Marine Corp.
- Owning a tavern like Cheers, the Tropicana hotel, on Las Vegas strip.
- The secrets to being a successful casino dealer.
- Making people feel like they were at their home away from home.
- Falsely framed by a City councilman with an commercial agenda.
- Sometimes even fighting City Hall is necessary.
- Overcoming oesophageal cancer at age 53.
- Raising the stakes with a limousine company and facing bullet holes.
- Tenacious approach will allow you to more often prevail when challenges come your way.
- What kind of job am I doing as an owner?
- When things get difficult brainstorm and have discussions.
- Building a reputation in Las Vegas for being a loyal, honest and reliable person.
- Making a point to be home for dinner with the family every night.
- Motivate and inspire people through his story in Tenacity.
- Michael Madson (Reservoir Dogs and Donny Brasco) being the voice over of his audio book.
- How can you leave something better than you found it every day.
“There is never a wrong time to do the right thing.” Ron Coury’s advise for graduates, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Have to work hard to make time for everything that is important to you.” Spending time on the important things with Ron Coury, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Tenacity Ron Coury Book
Recent active CEO Podcast Episodes
#120 – Ron Coury (Tenacity) Tenacious Las Vegas Entrepreneur Link
#119 – PASSION Influence From The Heart Link
#118 – Annie Gibbins (Lipstick Consulting) Biography Of A Curious Woman Link
#117 – PERSONALITY Unlock Your Limiting Beliefs Link
#116 – David Lindsay Knocked Down Snap Into Action Link
#115 – PERFORMANCE Productivity Starts With Happiness Link
#114 – Paul Dunn (B1G1) Moments That Change Lives Link
#113 – PEOPLE Serve People Who Matter Link
#112 – Karthik Madugula – Ultimate Experiment On Human Behaviour Link
#111 – PURPOSE Create A Ripple Effect Link
#110 – Dr Paul White (Workplace Appreciation) 5 Languages Of Workplace Appreciation Link