On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Mark Weatherall about leading the great outdoors, being a decisive leader, creating a winning environment, managing sports tribunal inquiries and being CEO of Canoe Racing New Zealand.
We also delve into the lessons in leadership growing up in surf lifesaving and being in the great outdoors, the power of values, and why you should walk the Te Araroa trail and see the amazing world of New Zealand.
Mark Weatherall – Leading The Great Outdoors
Mark Weatherall is an enthusiastic and self starting CEO who has overseen the growth of Olympic Programs, serving the community through surf lifesaving and a guardian of the 3,000km Te Araroa trail, which extends the length of New Zealand.
He studied a Bachelor of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management majoring in Sport Management, from Lincoln University. His career has included managerial roles at Surf Lifesaving Otago and Surf Lifesaving New Zealand, and has held CEO roles at Poverty Bay Rugby, Canoe Racing NZ and currently Te Araroa Trust.
In his spare time he is the most successful Team Manager for the Black Fins Surf Lifesaving Team, winning the 2012, 2014 and 2016 World Championship titles. I am excited to bring you high performing leader who is passionate about photography and loves spending time with his children in the great outdoors whether it be fishing, hunting, diving or camping, Mark Weatherall.
Mark talks about:
- Being the quiet person who is happy to empower people to step up and get things done.
- Sport as an enabler to save lives in surf lifesaving.
- Managing the Black Fins Surf Lifesaving New Zealand team to beat Australia
- Developing the belief that they could win a World title.
- Clarity on values, responsibilities and roles created winners.
- Creating better people for being involved in the Black Finz
- Leveraging Lisa Carrington’s Olympic Gold medals.
- Reconnecting with clubs at Canoe Racing NZ.
- Huge challenge to change from an individual to a team focus.
- The fastest boat or the four fastest paddlers.
- Geoff Barry telling Mark to be more decisive
- If I go it wrong, my reputation as a CEO could have been in tatters
- People walking the length of the country on the Te Araroa trail.
- Parents and the pressure they place on kids and coaches
- New Zealand 3,000km walkway, the most diverse walking trail in the world
- Managing group of staff to now managing myself
Active CEO Performance Tip
Your Dreams Don’t Stop! Have you felt like the wind has been taken out of your sails and you have taken a step back from your dreams?Your dreams don’t stop because hard work turned up. This is your calling, your time to step up and take ownership of your dreams. Dreams don’t come easy. Embrace the pain, embrace the hardwork and you will be rewarded. Start with 3 steps to reconnect with your dreams. 1. Push reset 2. Reconfirm your dreams 3. Take action
“Challenge in balancing your life when working a role like that when you become something to everyone.” Mark Weatherall talks about leading not-for-profit organisation, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Be better tomorrow than what you are today.” Mark Weatherall speaks about creating a winning culture, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Mark Weatherall LinkedIn
Mark Weatherall Facebook
Te Araroa Trail NZ www.teararoa.org.nz
World Sport Coach www.worldsportcoach.com
Craig Johns www.craigjohns.com.au
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Fuel Your Body For Leadership Performance Read Article
How Exercise Enhances A Leaders Performance Read Article
Four Basic Fundamentals Of Being A High Performing Leader Read Article
How To Be A High Performing Leader In 2020 Read Article
Four Ways To Overcome CEO Loneliness In 2020 Read Article
Recent active CEO Podcast Episodes
#104 – Mark Weatherall (Te Araroa) Leading The Great Outdoors Link
#103 – Be Your OWN CEO Link
#102 – Scott Leggo An Eye For Detail Link
#101 – Own Your OWN VULNERABILITY Link
#100 – Sandhya Shetty Supermodel To Global Influencer Link
#99 – Build Your OWN TRIBE Link
#98 – Shannan Gove (Rosterfy) Building Motivated Workforces Link
#97 – Own Your OWN GRATITUDE Link
#96 – Christian Boucousis Leading Out Of The Danger Zone Link
#95 – Live Your OWN STORY Link
#94 – Mike Nishi (Chicago Event Management) Chicago Marathon Beyond The Race Link