On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Christian Boucousis about Leading Out Of The Danger Zone, fighter pilot emotions, the Afterburner FLEX flawless execution method, and how leaders can execute like a fighter pilot.
We also deep dive into high performing teams, why the debrief is more important than the mission, optimising the peak stress curve and why people aren’t the best versions of ourselves.
Christian Boucousis – Leading Out Of The Danger Zone
Christian Boucousis is a high performing leader, who was born to fly fighter jets, thrives on highly complex and demanding environments, and is the co-author of “On Time On Target”. He is a high achiever who focuses on flawless execution, successfully transferred high-level skills of flying at over 1500km/hr to the business world and is a thriving entrepreneur.
His career started as a fighter pilot for the Royal Australian Air Force; before founding the Christian Thomas Group, which provides humanitarian support to developing nations; and directing W E Johns & sons. His current roles include founder and CEO of Mode Developments property company, Publisher of Australian Aviation, and High Performance Coach & Speaker of Afterburner Australia and New Zealand.
Christian talks about:
- A lifetime obsession with being a fighter pilot.
- Why a fighter pilot execution rate is about 98%
- A high performing team is about individual accountability
- How to get into a battle “execution” rhythm.
- Situational awareness is the clarity that allows you to make better decisions.
- Using the Uder loop from the top gun academy.
- Maneuvering ourselves into another position to take advantage of it
- Utilizing the peak stress curve to optimize performance.
- Plan – Brief – Execute – Debrief
- Leading out of the danger zone.
- Why fighter pilots are the most emotionless robots on the planet.
- Preventing burnout and stress as a fighter pilot.
- The huge potential of the debrief for teams and organisations
- Taking accountability for our own actions while leading teams.
- Why humans as highly complex individuals and go off on a tangent.
- You are always investigating, you are doing your analysis on the run.
- Analysis and decision making is in perpetual motion
- Why people spend little time debriefing a goal and the 3 simple questions of a debrief
- What’s one thing you can say that can enable hundreds of people to do their job?
- The habits and routines he does every day that allow him to execute flawlessly
Active CEO Performance Tip
Create A Ripple Effect With PURPOSE – Have you become too focused on yourself and you don’t feel fulfilled. Focus on something bigger than just yourself. Determine what your companies or your own real purpose is in life. Your why or your companies why? What work can you do to serve that purpose and leave a positive mark or dent on the world? 3 questions to ask yourself – 1. What makes you come alive? 2. What are your innate strengths? 3. Where do you add greatest value? NOW IF YOU ARE STILL STRUGGLING TO IDENTIFY YOUR WHY here are 3 more questions to ask yourself: 1. What do people come to ask for help on and thank you for? 2. What would do you love doing that you would do everyday without a paycheck? 3. If you found out that you only had one year left, what would you imagine yourself doing? Its time for you to do some self reflection and find clarity on your why!
“80% of what we did is mapped out, whereas the 20% we had to make decisions, we were able to do that, because the basics were all looked after.” The precision of a fighter pilot with Christian Boucousis, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Everyday we don’t come together as a team, we are diverging away from that goal.” Christian Boucousis talks about team alignment, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Christian Boucousis LinkedIn
Christian Boucousis Facebook
Christian Boucousis Twitter
Craig Johns www.craigjohnsspeaker.com
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
BOOK – On Time On Target Christian Boucousis
Fuel Your Body For Leadership Performance Read Article
How Exercise Enhances A Leaders Performance Read Article
Four Basic Fundamentals Of Being A High Performing Leader Read Article
How To Be A High Performing Leader In 2020 Read Article
Four Ways To Overcome CEO Loneliness In 2020 Read Article
Recent active CEO Podcast Episodes
#96 – Christian Boucousis Leading Out Of The Danger Zone Link
#95 – Live Your OWN STORY Link
#94 – Mike Nishi (Chicago Event Management) Chicago Marathon Beyond The Race Link
#93 – OWN Your OWN FREEDOM Link
#92 – Lisa Tamati (Author of Relentless) Relentless Leadership In Life Link
#91 – 8 Ways To OWN Your OWN Influence Link
#90 – Jason Treu (Unstoppable Workplaces) Building Trust For Transformation Link
#89 – How Many CEO Performance Habits Link
#88 – Kate Maree O’Brien (SHE Conference) Tenacious Spirit Of An Entrepreneur Link
#87 – Have You Got CEO Presence Link
#86 – Chris Tabish (Comediology) Leadership Effectiveness With Comediology Link