On this episode of the active CEO Podcast we talk about how to raise your energy bar through CEO Periodization, on episode #8 of Breaking The CEO Code. It is a short podcast episode where host Craig Johns decodes a new aspect of being a high performing leader each week.
Craig talks about CEO Periodization, the first P of the 3P’s of the Leadership Performance Formula. CEO PERIODIZATION allows you to proactively plan your rest and recovery from a daily to career basis.
Periodization originated from cataloguing books based on periods of time and in sport it is used to segment a block of training into periods workload and rest.
- You can’t go full throttle for 11-12 months, every year, without expecting to get sick, fatigued and “crash and burn”, so to speak.
- Using the 3:1 PERIODIZATION work-to-rest ratio, you can take a year and create FOUR 3 month blocks, where you can assign one key project followed by a period of scheduled recovery time.
- Breaking a 3 month block into 4 week blocks, where you have 3 weeks which can be more intense, have higher levels of stress, travel regularly, and then one week, where you schedule no meetings, no travel, work less hours and spend time with your children and those most important to you.
- Plan your recovery throughout the week, just like the Four Day Week, 6 hour day and tradies playing golf on Wednesdays concepts so that you can have higher levels of energy and performance.
- You can only effectively concentrate and hold high levels of productivity for 45-90 minutes at one time before requiring a 15 to 30 minute break – 3:1 ratio – to reset your mental energy and focus so that you can maintain productivity and performance throughout an entire day.
Check out the newly Breaking The CEO Code whitepaper. It provides an overview of Breaking The CEO Code and showcases the 6 key phases. We also go a little deeper into the 2nd phase PERFORMANCE, where we discuss the 3 P’s of Leadership Performance.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Subscribe to active CEO Podcast on Itunes
Craig Johns Keynote Speaker
active CEO Coaching
active CEO Podcast
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Recent active CEO Podcast Episodes
#85 – How To Raise Your Energy Bar With CEO Periodization Link
#84 – Catherine Molloy The Conscious Leader Link
#83 – 3 P’s Of The Leadership Performance Formula Link
#82 – Revital Golan (Anemone Ventures) Entrepreneur State Of Mind Link
#81 – How A Leader Can Recover With Purpose Link
#80 – Jonathan Rake (Swiss Re) Launchpad To Go Beyond Borders Link
#79 – Free Your Mind Link
#78 – Hillary Poole Leading Healthy Sustainable Systems Link
#77 – Tips To Fuel Your Leadership Performance Link
#76 – Paul Veric (BTE Consulting) The Peaceful Warrior CEO Link
#75 – How Exercise Enhances Leadership Performance Link
#74 – Lucy Bennett Baggs (Just Challenge) Just Challenge Global Impact Link