active CEO Podcast #69 Deepthi Bopaiah India’s Next Olympic Gold
On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Deepthi Bopaiah about finding India’s next Olympic Gold Medal, having impact and creating influential change, and transitioning from HSBC to GoSport Foundation. We also dive into the power of India mandating Corporate Social Responsibility, be the change you wish to see, and how to put India consistently on the world sporting map.
This active CEO podcast episode was recorded live at the 2019 Mass Participation World Conference, at the Hilton Hotel, in Singapore.
Deepthi Bopaiah – India’s Next Olympic Gold
Deepthi Bopaiah is a highly determined and visionary young leader from India, who is making waves on the sub-continent with GoSports Foundation, creating an enriched sporting ecosystem, sport for all, and is determined to put India on the sporting map and win Olympic Gold Medals. She is an actor, travel junkie and dog lover, who managed to sweet-talk her way into the Rio Paralympic Games village, and was a fine athlete in her own right, representing Karnataka State in Basketball and Tennis.
She has a Bachelor of Commerce from Mont Carmel College and a MBA Finance & Marketing Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies. Her career has included Assistant Manager, Assistant Vice President Training & Development and Vice President of HSBC in Bangalore. Since 2012, She started out working at GoSports Foundation as a Communications Director and Marketing Director, and since 2016, is the Executive Director.
Deepthi talks about:
- Growing up in Bangalore and living in a country of 1.3 Billion people.
- Having a dream that has impact, where you could influence change.
- Why Steffi Graf was her role model as a child.
- The rise of the female athlete in India and sport teaching you life lessons.
- Taking the initiative to approach Walt Disney India for an internship
- The biggest lesson learnt while working at HSBC.
- You can only get people to invest if they see that you are doing it.
- The catalyst and focus for GoSport Foundation
- Rahul Dravid mentoring program to help athletes transitioning to elite level.
- Pullela Gopichand focuses on coaching eco-system model.
- India’s Next Olympic Gold
- Breaking the logic of India and women in sport in India.
- India’s challenges to finding the next Indian Olympic and Paralympic Gold Medalist.
- Corporate India embracing Sport in their CSR programs.
- The participation catalyst of four medals at the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
- Fit India movement and people talking about being more healthy.
- The value of collaborative leadership.
- How tennis, pilates and chanting help her bring her A-Game.
- If you want to get fit do a 10k, if you want to change your life do a marathon.
Active CEO Performance Tip
CEO Companionship – CEO loneliness is a real problem affecting our society. Have you ever felt lonely, isolated and there is no one you can speak to, as a leader? Well, you are not alone! Harvard Business Review reported that 61% of CEO’s feel that loneliness hinders their job performance. The higher you move up the ladder the greater the responsibility, pressure to deliver results, expectation to remain calm and the level of confidentiality, increases. Here are 4 Ways To Overcome CEO Loneliness: Build a Team of Mentors, Create Work-Life Integration, Join a Support Group and Embrace the Inclusivity of Courage and Vulnerability. Take the time to reflect and then recognize how the 4 Ways To Overcome CEO Loneliness can you help you rise up and become a better leader in 2020.
“You can only get people to invest if they see that you are doing it.” Talking about change and leadership with Deepthi Bopaiah, on the active CEO Podcast.
“When you support a young athlete you support one of them, where f you support a coach you can support a hundred athletes through that one sport.” Deepthi Bopaiah talks about Pullela Gopichand, India National Badminton Coach, approach to coach ecosystems, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Deepthi Bopaiah LinkedIn
Deepthi Bopaiah Twitter
Deepthi Bopaiah Instagram
Go Sports Foundation India www.gosportsfoundation.in
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Recent active CEO Podcast Episodes:
#68 – Abraham Kamarck (True Made Foods) – Leadership Lessons From The Sky Link
#67 – Liz Volpe (Ambisie) – Dare to Dream Link
#66 – Bill Coletti (Kith) – Reputational Resilience & Transformation Link
#65 – Todd Greenberg (NRL) More Than A Game Link
#64 – Gabrielle Dow (Green Bay Packers) Green Bay Packers Experience Link
#63 – Charles Fairlie Unsung Business Heroes Link
#62 – Amanda Jacobs (Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron) She Leads With Empathy Link
#61 – Mark Turner (Triathlon Scotland) Coaching Saved My Life Link
#60 – Jennifer Dunham (Happiness Matters) – Pivotal Moments Create Decisions Link
#59 – Tim Oberg (parkrun) – Moving A Nation Link