On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Mark Turner about how coaching saved my life, losing humility, being vulnerable and establishing a high performance environment.
We also delve into the lessons he learnt working in the Queensland Police Force, being an agent for change, losing it all after selling a highly successful Shapland Swim School franchise, establishing Triathlon Nation and being recruited as the Lead Performance Coach at Triathlon Scotland.
Mark Turner – Coaching Saved My Life
Mark Turner is a leader who focuses on developing people to maximize their potential athletically, unlock their true why and purpose, and creating a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. He is a passionate, driven and humble leader who has raised over $100,000 for Epilepsy Queensland and Special Olympics, Mark Turner.
His education includes an Advanced Certificate in Policing from the Queensland University of Technology; and Management Development Post-graduate Program at Queensland Police Service.
He has a passion for serving the community with 13 years in the Queensland Police Service, a business owner of the Shapland Swim School Everton Park, Head Coach for the Brisbane Girls Grammar School athletics team, General Manager of Healthstream Aquatic and Fitness Queensland, State Manager and Elite Programs Manager AFL Umpiring Queensland and Coaching Director of Tri Nation Triathlon. Earlier this year our guest was recruited as the Lead Performance Coach for Triathlon Scotland.
Mark talks about:
- Being a shy child, who lacked confidence, growing up in a socially minded family.
- Key lessons from a thirteen-year career in the Queensland Police Force.
- Learning how to read people, listen to people and look at behaviours.
- Switching from serving the community to building your own community.
- How a lack of humility, meant losing it all.
- Not being able to pay rent, and not have a job or a business.
- Putting a peg in the ground and starting again, when he lost it all.
- Making the decision to go full-time coaching.
- Living in a mate’s garage and the struggles behind the scenes.
- Coaching Saved My Life.
- Excepting he had depression in 2014 after a full breakdown.
- What he had been through was significant and didn’t need to battle alone.
- The power of vulnerability is amazing.
- As humans we are designed to live in communities and be connected.
- Chasing the dream of being a high performance coach.
- Lead Performance Coach for Triathlon Scotland.
- Building open and honest relationships, having a genuine care for the athletes and having the technical expertise.
- What causes people to react in two different ways emotionally?
Active CEO Performance Tip
Playing the Long Game – It’s so easy to get caught up in the detail of the business and forget to look after the health and wealth of your company long term. Focus on long game and put things in place so that in the future your company is thriving, growing and stepping up the game so you can stay one step ahead of the game in the market place.
“We need to be at our best for the athletes that we coach to get them to be at their best. It’s is the same for us. If we are not at our best, how do we expect the athletes to be at their best?” Being a high performing leader with Mark Turner on the active CEO Podcast.
“Getting the basics right. Getting all the things right that don’t require talent and holding each other to account. Having environments where there is psychological safety where you can have open and honest challenging and candid conversations between coaches, support staff, athletes-to-coaches.” Mark Turner discusses a high performance environment, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Anyone in a position of leadership whether it is a coach, a teacher, an educator, politician or anyone in a position of influence, the more that they can say, I have had my struggles to and it was really hard.” Mark Turner talks about a real sense of power for being vulnerable, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Mark Turner – Triathlon Secrets For The Age Grouper (E-Book, Coming Soon)