Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:13:00 — 100.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
Power of Storytelling in Sport
On this episode of the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Unmish Parthasarathi about the Power of Storytelling in Sport, bridging the communication gap, the crossroads of decision making in life, and how cricket can impact, influence and inform a corporate dynamic.
We also delve into fan inclusion as the future of fan engagement, imposter syndrome, the world of media, the changing tide of innovation and turning a lemon into a best-seller.
Unmish Parthasarathi – Power Of Storytelling In Sport
Unmish Parthasarathi is a storyteller, change agent, digital media expert and start-up innovator in emerging markets. Unmish brings a rare mix of competencies that includes multi-media content creation, video-based product development, strategy & sales coupled with a deep understanding of partnership development and cross-cultural collaboration in Asia & Europe. A passionate cricket fan, travel enthusiast, cross-cultural enabler, and loves harnessing the power of listening in storytelling,
He has lived in Delhi, Johannesburg, New York, London and Singapore, helping enable diverse organisations grow their relevance, reach or revenue by helping tell a better story. Unmish has a Bachelors Degree in History from St Stephens College; a Masters International Relations from the University of Cambridge; an MBA Strategy and Entrepreneurship from the London Business School and an MBA Entertainment, Media & Technology on Exchange at NYU Stern School of Business.
His career has included roles as a TV Reporter for Star News in India where he interviewed cricket superstars Anil Kumble and Sachin Tendulkar; digital media roles at IMG Media, Press Association, World Sailing League, BBC, ESPN STAR Sports and NewsCorp; Global Head of Digital Sales at ICC; and is currently the Founder of Picture Board Partners, Mentor Sport Tech Tokyo and Steering Committee Member for GoSports Foundation.
Unmish talks about:
- Playing competitive cricket in Delhi, India.
- Gratitude, humility and reflection being the greatest story of 2021.
- Fragility of life has been very humbling.
- The sandbox you play in.
- Finding his space in the world of media.
- The crossroads of decision making in life.
- Why his cricket coach was a big father-figure and mentor.
- Humans are hard-wired for story.
- Power of Storytelling in Sport
- The relationship between story and trust.
- There is a lot of noise and imposter syndrome in the world.
- Gender equality, race and mental health have become an important part of athletes.
- Athletes letting fans into their backyards.
- Innovation is culturally situated and doesn’t need to be a big bang.
- Imran Khan and Martin Crowe being inspiring great leaders beyond sport.
- Start-up nation of Israel, Singapore and New Zealand.
“It’s an instinct, it’s an emotion and it’s a muscle which is inculcated by someone you trust, which is a parent, a grandparent or somebody else. You almost associate the verbal gymnastics, the painting of pictures with a very positive, trusted and assured experience. And I don’t think it ever leaves us.” Talking about the power of story on trust with Unmish Parthasarathi on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Picture Board http://www.pictureboard.asia/
Speakers Institute Corporate www.speakersinstitutecorporate.com
Craig Johns www.craigjohns.com.au
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/craig-johns-active-ceo-nz