Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 44:47 — 41.0MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Yamini Naidu about business story mastery, why you need both data and stories, the importance of message clarity, and her new book Story Mastery. We also delve into her how to be an effective speaker, starting a successful business, Aristotle’s model of influence and having your off-stage stuff together.
Yamini Naidu – Business Story Mastery
Yamini Naidu is a charismatic, energetic and a superstar in the storytelling business. From being on some of the worlds largest stages to intimate settings with the leaders of Fortune 500 companies, she has the charm, charisma, clarity and conviction to keep the attention of even the hardest old-school leaders.
She has a BA in Economics and Sociology from the St Xavier’s College, MA Economics from the University of Mumbai and a Masters Science in IR and Personnel Management from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Her early years were focused as an Economist before and epiphany changed her course and she found her true passion and pathway as Director of One Thousand and One, and Director of and Chief Storyteller at Yamini Naidu Consulting.
She goes above and beyond as a volunteer guide at the National Gallery of Victoria, and has provided Pro Bono for Pollinate Energy and High Reserves Global Citizenship and Leadership Program.
I am pleased to introduce to you a leading expert in business storytelling, the world’s only economist turned storyteller and consistently voted among the top business storytellers worldwide, put your hands together and bring a huge round of applause for Yamini Naidu
Yamini talks about:
- Imagining riding a tiger to school.
- Becoming the worlds first Economist turned storyteller.
- Being frustrated about why data doesn’t persuade people.
- People are the single biggest determinant of any success.
- How “A leaders Guide to Business Storytelling” by Stephen Denning, changed her life.
- Co-founding Australia’s first storytelling company in 2005
- Being prepared to educate the market before you get your first customer.
- Putting it out there, test it and get better every time.
- Being clear on the single message you want to communicate.
- Personal story where you can tie it to a business message is very powerful
- Stories are like Velcro for the brain and for the heart.
- We are sitting in the midst of a storytelling revolution.
- Stories today are as critical as data, because everybody has got data, but data doesn’t differentiate.
- Logic informs people, but doesn’t shift behaviour.
- A story doesn’t have to be epic to be effective.
- Story Mastery can really quantum leap your audience.
- To be a successful speaker, you have actually have to get your off stage stuff together.
- How we can have more equity in the world?
Active CEO Performance Tip
Chief Role Model – As a leader your real title should be Chief Role Model. The culture of a team or organization begins from the person at the top. You have a lot of power as a leader and with power comes great responsibility. As they say, the fish always starts to rot from the head. Your actions, behaviours, approach and leadership style determines the foundation of the culture. Be the role model for the desired values, behaviours and identity of the team or organization you lead.
“Business storytelling is like life after Google, you wonder how you lived without it.” Yamini Naidu explains story mastery, on the active CEO Podcast.
“People are the single biggest determinant of any success.” Yamini Naidu connecting success, on the active CEO Podcast.
“A business story should be under two minutes and that’s when you are going to have the biggest impact. After two minutes you start to have diminishing returns.” How long should a business story be with Yamini Naidu, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Yamini Naidu www.yamininaidu.com.au
Yamini Naidu LinkedIn
Yamini Naidu Twitter
Yamini Naidu YouTube
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Story Mastery Yamini Naidu
Triple Your Presentation Success Yamini Naidu
Hooked Yamini Naidu
Power Play Book Yamini Naidu