On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Brad Gunn, from Vault Accountants and Financial Services, about the four day work week, creating a customer centric financial business, the role of technology in client relationships, and high levels of staff retention. We also delve into sports leave, incentivizing staff to be active and healthy, taking Triathlon Queensland from insolvency, and his love of a fine wine.
Brad Gunn – Podcast Interview Brief
Brad Gunn is a humble, thoughtful, determined and creative leader, who has the quote “When you know your WHY, you’re going to attract people that bring the HOW” on his LinkedIn page.
He has more than thirty years experience in the financial services with senior roles in investment advisory, funds management, practice management and accounting. His education includes a Bachelor Economics, Accounting and Commerce at the University of Queensland; and post-graduate studies in financial management at the University of Adelaide and Columbia University in the City of New York.
In 2008 he co-founded Vault Accounting and Financial Advisors in Brisbane, Australia, a progressive advisory group that offers expertise across the entire financial planning landscape.
Brad talks about:
- His father always saying he was a leader and people would follow.
- Client engagement and communication is the key to successful retention in any business.
- Developing customer centric approach so that companies could come to one place.
- Training, education and ongoing up-skilling being important to Vault.
- Moving people across and up in the business has lead to high levels of staff retention.
- The only way they are going to learn is get their hands dirty on the tools.
- The role of technology integration with accountants in the client relationship.
- Wanting to dial back from the business, where they can exit the business within ten years.
- Trialling the four day work week in February 2019.
- They were putting a 40-hour week in 4 days and productivity was up through the roof.
- During the debrief staff identified an improvement in mental health and a reduction in stress
- Incentivising Vault Accountant’s staff in leading an active and healthy lifestyle.
- The inspiration behind starting the Croc Triathlon Club with Brad Bevan and Rod Cedaro.
- Being a Board member for Triathlon Queensland for 11 years including President for 8.
- Managing change with a struggling organisation, which was technically insolvent.
- Changing the way that Triathlon Australia and the State triathlon organisations operated.
- His wife Sally seeing the need for him to get his work-life balance sorted out.
- BBQ favourite wine is the Wirra Wirra Church Block Shiraz
- Wanting to solve the question of how to fix the Australian Tax problem
Active CEO Wellness Tip
Energy Meeting – Why don’t we challenge the way we have always provided sugary muffins, coffee, lollies and soft drinks as our meeting snacks? How do we expect to perform optimally and get the most out of people when we are not focusing on strategies to ensure sustainable energy levels. If we want optimal performance, optimal learning and optimal outcomes then we need to implement effective energy strategies and that starts with what food and drinks we put on the table.
“The university degree doesn’t automatically give you the right to know everything. It really is only a start.” Brad Gunn discusses on the job experience, on the active CEO Podcast.
“The first week was the most difficult as people were going through a transition and adjusting. The second week everyone was getting used to it, the third week they were loving it and by the fourth week can we keep this going.” Brad Gunn speaks about the four day work week trial, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Brad Gunn LinkedIn
Vault Accountants and Financial Advisors www.vaultgroup.com.au
Triathlon Queensland website
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole Performance Coaching www.bengathercole.com.au
Better Than Winning – Ben Gathercole