Middle Managers Matter
On this episode of the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Rebecca Houghton about Middle Managers Matter, 10 Ways To Level Up Your Leadership, and the importance and dilemmas of middle managers.
We also dive deeper into talent strategy, the dynamics of hierarchy in the workplace, projecting confidence and the rise of authentic leadership.
Rebecca Houghton – Middle Managers Matter
Rebecca Houghton has over 25 years of experience in talent strategy, is an AHRI Talent Strategy and Golden Quill award-winner, as well as the best-selling author of IMPACT. She is also the architect of Level Up, a groundbreaking program exclusively designed for B-Suite leaders.
Throughout her illustrious career, Rebecca has collaborated with industry giants such as LinkedIn, Indeed, The City of Melbourne, and Concentrix, leaving an indelible mark on their success. Her expertise has been sought after by numerous esteemed publications including Harvard Business Review, Forbes, The Australian, News Ltd, CEO World and HR Leader.
Rebecca talks about:
- Growing up in different cultures and fascination with group behaviour
- Curiosity about how groups behave and how leaders influence groups to behave in a certain way
- Big commonalities in leaders around the world
- Confidence being your secret Achilles heel
- What we think of ourselves on the inside is often the complete opposite of what we project on the outside
- Internal and external confidence
- Middle Managers Matter
- Talent strategy
- Projecting confidence at the right times
- Rise of authentic leadership
- 10 Ways To Level Up Your Leadership
- The importance of middle managers
- Only 7% of communication is made up of the spoken word
- Creating a more psychologically secure environment in the workplace
- Diversity and more gender balance in roles in the workplace
- Relationship with artificial intelligence
- Dynamics in the workplace – B Suite and C Suite
“There is loads of anecdotal and research evidence that proves that when your mid-level leaders are on point, your transformations succeed.” Rebecca Houghton on middle managers matter on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
“It doesn’t matter what language you speak and what country you come from as a leader. Confidence is your secret achilles heel. As a leader, influence is your greatest frustration.” Big commonalities as a leader with Rebecca Houghton on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
“Middle managers have always been the meat in the sandwich. They’ve always been squeezed between conflicting agendas and diametrically opposing forces. What the executive wants versus what the workforce wants are never going to match up.” The dilemma of middle managers with Rebecca Houghton on the Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Rebecca Houghton www.boldhr.com.au
Rebecca Houghton LinkedIn
Rebecca Houghton Twitter
Craig Johns www.craigjohns.com.au
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Craig Johns Facebook
Inspiring Great Leaders Podcast