On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Alex Richardson about his creative world; growing up with dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome; the positive effects of meditation on staying focused; the effects of music on the brain; and painting an audio picture. We also delve into the Art of Mentoring; leading a virtual team; the power of mentoring on a mentor; and how they have grown to matching 6,000 mentoring pairs each year.
Alex Richardson – The Art Of Mentoring
Alex Richardson is a highly successful and determined entrepreneur, who is at the forefront of the HR technology space. He is a man who is extremely passionate about people and culture.
Alex has excelled in audio and visual production, sound engineering, 3D Animation and the typography space, working with Charles Fisher who produced top bands such as Savage Garden and Hudu Gurus, as well as doing front of house production for many artists and festivals such as Bluesfest.
Since 2013, Alex is a co-Founder and Director of his family businesses Art of Mentoring and Horizons Unlimited. He is at the forefront of mentoring technology and program design in Australia. They design, implement and support over 6,000 mentoring partnerships each year in Association, Corporate, Government and University industries.
In his spare time he is a Board member of 2bbb radio station and is a member of the Australian Human Resources Institute and Family Business Australia. O
Alex talks about:
- Seeing the world through a creative lens.
- Compartmentalising the curiosity and focusing on the task at hand.
- How meditation brought clarity to Dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome as a child.
- His morning ritual of meditation, Kung-Fu and eating a bowl of fruit.
- Finding his passion in music and meeting a fantastic mentor, Charles Fisher, who produced Savage Garden and the Hudu Gurus.
- Sound engineering is like painting an audio picture.
- The effects of music on the brain and the way that shapes our perception of the world, of societies perception and the social fabrics that are created through music.
- Music is the most engaging activity for the brain out of any activity that you can possibly do.
- Social fabrics that are created through music and music genres
- Using 3D animation as a very powerful way to teach and allow people to learn.
- Establishing the Art of Mentoring with his mum and transitioning from employee to business owner.
- Using mantras & learning’s from the music industry, & bringing them into the business world.
- Leading a virtual team of 14 staff across Australia.
- Taking the best practices and core standards that are tried and tested.
- Mentors saying that the mentee will never understand that I got more out of this than the mentee did.
- Matching 6,000 pairs of mentors and mentees over the last 12 months.
- Waking up in the morning knowing he goes to work knowing he will make a difference to the world, not just a dollar.
- Would love to solve how humans can coexist in a positive way.
Active CEO Wellness Tip
Checking in With Yourself – It is important that we ask the questions of yourself. Are we on track to achieve our goals? Are we happy how we communicated today? If we weren’t happy with the answers, then how can we resurrect on it and get ourselves back on track. What is your purpure on life and what we are driven for and making sure that we stay in line with that. Take some time at the beginning or end of each day. It might be every day, every 3 days or at the end of each week or the start of each week. Its about finding that routine and making sure we have the right things in place, doing the right things and making sure we are staying on track with our goals.
“The downside of being a really creative person is that you do have a lot of ideas and marinating that focus is an important piece of the puzzle.” The creative mind of Alex Richardson, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Both music and sound have a responsibility to paint a picture, evoke an emotion and to create that activity in a persons brain.” The power of music with Alex Richardson, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Alex Richardson LinkedIn
Art of Mentoring www.artofmentoring.net
Art of Mentoring Facebook
Music & Effects Website
Craig Johns firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole Performance Coaching www.bengathercole.com.au
Better Than Winning – Ben Gathercole