Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:20 — 41.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, we take a look inside the life of Dr Dina Al-Tayeb as a Periodontist, owner of Dentalia Clinics, a passionate Ironwoman, Tufts University Board member, mother of three and health and wellness influencer in the Middle East. We delve into her business approach, being a goal orientated person, being present no matter what hat you wear, what it means to be a role model, the art of distraction and never letting anyone define your dream.
Dr Dina Al-Tayeb is a phenomenal lady, who sees no obstacles and loves a challenge. She grew up living in Saudi Arabia, where gender equality is viewed from a different lens than many other parts of the world.She has created a highly successful Dental business, Dentalia Clinics, alongside three partners, which now has 13 clinics across Saudi Arabia.
Alongside her entrepreneurial ventures, this beautiful soul and beaming light is an Associate Professor at King Abdulaziz University, Trustee on the Board at Tufts University, and in 2018 become the first Middle Eastern Female to qualify and complete the Ironman World Triathlon Championships in Kona, Hawaii.
Her tenacious, determined and open-minded approach to the world allows her to take on opportunities that many other people would never dream of and be highly successful. Dr Dina Al-Tayeb is a phenomenal lady, who sees no obstacles and loves a challenge. She grew up living in Saudi Arabia, where gender equality is viewed from a different lens than many other parts of the world.
Dina talks about:
- Being inspired to becoming a dentist after visiting a dentist in Switzerland when she was young.
- Creating a modern, completely new concept and delivering the highest standard, with Dentalia Clinics
- Being one of the fastest 100 growing companies in Saudi Arabia, for two years in a row.
- Maintaining a high standard, employing the best doctors and having the best technology
- The role of sponsorship is to help promote health and wellness.
- Modeling an active and healthy lifestyle for her co-workers, patients, clinics and clients.
- The art of distracting the customer from the work that is actually going on.
- What drives her the most and the satisfaction she gets as a teacher.
- The growth in the number of woman starting businesses and taking up leadership positions in Saudi Arabia.
- The recent lifting of a number of restrictions for women and society in Saudi Arabia.
- Her first triathlon in 2002 and thinking Ironman was an absolutely impossible challenge to do and that no body should ever let themselves go through such a horrendous experience.
- The challenges faced and lessons learnt in Ironman training and racing.
- Everyday you determine what is your finishline, where do you want that finishline to be?
- Being fully present in whatever you do, giving it your best.
- A day in the life of Dr Dina Al-Tayeb.
- The importance of meditation, prayer, exercise and being present when wearing the family hat.
- Being innovative in the way she trains in Saudi Arabia because of the environmental conditions and cultural values.
- Overcoming the biggest challenge in always being alone, as the only person in Saudi Arabia who did triathlon.
- Qualifying for and then racing in the 2018 Hawaii Ironman World Triathlon Championships.
- Now achieving her dream of competing in Kona at the Ironman, what is next.
- Dave Scott being her triathlon hero.
- Encouraging her team to lead an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Learned to relax a little but more. Less uptight if things don’t happen they way I want them.
- Setting the intention of what you want to achieve on this day and what I am grateful for.
- The impact that her coach, Christine Fletcher has had on her life.
Active CEO Wellness Tip
Has your life got rhythm? – Try working out with music so you can get in the groove. On a recovery type session, you may consider ‘relaxing’ music. Whereas a hard interval type session try an ‘upbeat tune’ that gets you pumped up. If you are really clever you can match the music beat to the rhythm you want to do your workout at. Depending on your mood you can choose music that will either pick you up or relax you if you are too amped up. Just remember to keep the sound level at a point where you can still here what’s happening in your surroundings, especially when running or riding on or across a road.
“How different but similar we are, regardless of where we come from, what hat or dress we are wearing. We are all the same as human beings we are all looking to be better, helping our businesses be successful and overcoming challenges we face every day. ” Dr Dina Al-Tayeb explaining the challenges we face in business, on the active CEO Podcast.
“If your mind can win, your body can do anything. “ Discussing resilience and mental focus during an Ironman with Dr Dina Al-Tayeb on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Dentalia Clinics www.dentaliaclinic.com
Dr Dina Al-Tayeb Facebook
Dr Dina Al-Tayeb Instagram
Tuffs University www.tufts.edu
King Abdulaziz University www.kau.edu.sa
Christine Fletcher Brite Coaching
Dave Scott www.davescottinc.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole Performance Coaching www.bengathercole.com.au
Better Than Winning – Ben’s best selling book
Previous active CEO Podcast Episodes:
#17 – Patrick Kidd OBE (Invictus Games / Deloitte Australia) – Healing Power of Purpose Link
#16 – Liza Pavlakos (www.lizapavlakos.com) – Adversity Transforms Lives Link
#15 – Michael Sewards (SkyBus) – All Aboard the SkyBus Link
#14 – Jamin Heppell & Jen Ziegner (Mountains & Marathons) – Leading From the Mountain Tops Link
#13 – Chris Dean (Choice Energy) – Disrupting the Energy Spectrum link
#12 – Kate Palmer (Sport Australia) – Changing the Game link
#11 – Tim Cosulich (Fratelli Cosulich Group) – Navigating the Global Family Business link
#10 – Dr Ndidi Nnoli-Edozien (Rising Tide Africa) – Magic Happens Outside the Comfort Zone link
#9 – Mike DeNoma (KBZ Bank) Part #2 – Creating an Earthquake link
#8 – Mike DeNoma (KBZ Bank) Part #1 – Your Strengths are What Energise You link
#7 – Trina Gordon (Boyden World Corporation) – Recruiting World Leaders link
#6 – Indiran Padayachee (RentCorp) – Winning Only Matters link
#5 – Suzie Hoitink (Clear Complexions) – Enemy of a Great Life is a Good One link
#4 – Rene Zondag (PBI) – People Are Our Greatest Asset link
#3 – Anne Gripper (NSW Office of Sport) – 6 C’s of Leadership link
#2 – active CEO Intro (NRG2Perform) Part 2 link
#1 – active CEO Intro (NRG2Perform) Part 1 link