On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Kate and Sam Cawthorn about their life-defining moment; Sam being uniquely wired as a futurist; Kate unlocking your “super powers” of influence through the Gallup CliftonStrengths Finder assessment; the magic of Storyshowing; and Proximity is Power. We also delve into the ‘why’ behind Speakers Institute and Speakers Tribe; being a selfless CEO; recovering with purpose; shifting the energy of a room; orchestrating people’s attention; and being in the transformational personal development industry.
Kate & Sam Cawthorn
Kate and Sam Cawthorn are an incredible couple, with the most beautiful souls, who are passionate about transforming leaders into influential speakers. Through adversity, they found opportunity, and made decisions that have led to making remarkable impacts on so many peoples lives.
As Co-Founders and leaders of the Speakers Institute and the Speakers Tribe, they harness their very different personalities and unique strengths to not only beautifully compliment each other, but also to provide a more well-rounded leadership approach.
Kate has spent more than a decade in the personal development space, unearthing many hidden talents in people. Unlocking peoples superpowers and guiding them to live their ‘why’ through understanding and harnessing their strengths, fuels her inner passion, as a renowned certified Gallup Clifton Strength Finder coach.
Sam has transformed into a thought leader in peak performance, bestselling author, speaker, CEO and award-winning educator, after a horrific car accident in October 2006, changed his life forever. The 2009 Young Australian of the Year and 2013 Edupreneur of the year, has two international best-selling books Bounce Forward and Storytelling, which are changing the game for many people around the world, from all walks of life.
Kate & Sam talk about:
- What inspired Kate as a child and what she dreamed of being a mum.
- Sam seeking attention growing up in a family of eleven children.
- Sam’s role as a Youth futurist with the Australian Federal Government.
- The near fatal crash that transformed both their lives.
- How Kate coped with Sam’s accident and being in a coma.
- How Sam approached the adversity and when he realised his ‘why’.
- What was the trigger for Kate to become a Gallop Clifton Strength Finder coach?
- What attracted Sam to become a professional speaker and the concept of Bounce Forward.
- Why Kate has to pull the hand brake on.
- The catalyst to starting the Speakers Institute and Speakers Tribe.
- Working together as leaders of Speakers Institute.
- Kate and Sam’s top 5 strengths from the Gallup Clifton Strength Finder assessment and how they compliment each other.
- The Toggle Framework for speakers.
- How they recharge their batteries and refuel their tanks.
Active CEO Wellness Tip
Fear Less – More than 80% of what we fear and worry about never ever comes true. If we are worried about something, rather than ruminating in our head, we should go and actually talk to the person. We need to look at the problem and do some research and understand whether it will it actually matter. What is the evidence behind what we are thinking? Is there any or not?
“People don’t need to be like someone else, that just need to be more of themselves.” Kate Cawthorn dives deep on what makes a great speaker, on the active CEO Podcast.
“The greatest training ground, as a speaker, is to go into your local school and speak to thirteen to fifteen year olds. If you can keep their attention span for a one hour period of time, you will keep anyone’s attention.” Sam Cawthorn talks about starting a speaking career, on the active CEO Podcast.
“If you are not speaking about something that you are genuinely passionate about, you will not come across as genuine at all.” Kate shares the secret of owning your voice, on the active CEO Podcast.
“When I walk into the room I want to make sure the atmosphere has shifted”. The power of attention with Sam Cawthorn, on the active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Kate Cawthorn LinkedIn
Sam Cawthorn LinkedIn
Sam Cawthorn www.samcawthorn.com
Sam Cawthorn Wikipedia
Speakers Institute www.speakersinstitute.com.au
Speakers Institute Facebook
Speakers Tribe www.speakerstribe.com.au
Speakers Tribe Facebook
Gallup Clifton Strengths Website
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole LinkedIn
Ben Gathercole Performance Coaching www.bengathercole.com.au